- 8 ounces spaghetti, broken into two-inch lengths
- 2 cans (8 ozs each) tomato sauce
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 2 cups water
- 1 clove garlic, chopped fine
- 1 small bay leaf,crumbled
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet basil
- 1 teaspoon salt or oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Cheddar cheese
Cook spaghetti according to directions on package.
Pan-fry bacon in a large skillet until lightly browned. Add garlic and onion; cook and stir until onion is transparent. Add beef; cook and stir until pink color disappears. Add salt, pepper, chili powder, tomato sauce, water, bay leaf, and basil. Simmer slowly 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
Combine sauce, drained spaghetti, and 1/2 cup cheese, and pour into a 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Bake in a moderate oven (350F) 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings.