- 1 pound pork sausage meat
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (8 ozs each) tomato sauce
- 2 cups dairy sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups uncooked elbow or shell macaroni
- Shredded cheese food or Cheddar cheese
Brown the sausage in a large skillet. Add onion and green pepper and cook until onion is transparent. Pour off excess fat. Add tomato sauce, sour cream, chili powder, salt, sugar, and macaroni. Stir to combine. Cover and cook slowly until macaroni is tender, about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
Pour into a 2-quart casserole, sprinkle with cheese and serve at once, or place in a slow oven (325’F) to keep hot until serving time.