- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking rice
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter or margarine
- 1 package (10 ozs) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions (optional)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Prepare rice according to directions on package; add butter and stir until melted. Combine with thawed broccoli, 1 cup cheese, and onions. Beat egg whites until stiff; add yolks, salt, and pepper; beat until blended. Fold into rice mixture. Pile into 1/2 quart casserole; top with remaining cheese. Bake in a moderate oven (350°F) 25 minutes. Serve hot.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings.