- 1 envelope (1 tbs) unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Grated rind of 2 lemons and 1 orange
- 1/2 cup fresh or bottled lemon juice
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1 baked 9-inch pastry shell
Add gelatin to water. Let stand. Place egg yolks in the top of a double boiler; beat slightly. Add 1/2 cup sugar, salt, lemon and orange rind and lemon juice; cook over boiling water until mixture thickens, stirring constantly.
Add gelatin and stir until dissolved. Cool in refrigerator until mixture begins to thicken.
Beat egg whites until foamy; gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar and continue beating until stiff. Fold with whipped cream into lemon-gelatin mixture. Pile into baked pastry shell. Chill in refrigerator until firm. Yield: 6 servings.