- 12 ounces lasagne (broad flat noodles)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons oil or fat
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cans (6 ozs each) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ozs) mushroom pieces, undrained
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 pound creamed cottage cheese (or Ricotta cheese)
- 1 pound Mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Cook lasagne according to directions on package. (Use a large kettle so lasagne can lie flat.) Drain.
Pan-fry onion and garlic in oil until transparent, about 1 minute. Add meat and cook and stir until all pink color disappears. Add tomato paste, mushroom pieces (plus liquid), salt, pepper, oregano, and water. Cook slowly 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
Pour a thin layer of tomato-meat sauce into a 10×13-inch baking pan. Arrange a layer of cooked lasagne, side by side (use half of it) over the sauce. Spoon half of cottage cheese over lasagne, then a layer of sliced Mozzarella cheese. Cover with remaining lasagne, then cottage cheese, then Mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining sauce and sprinkle Parmesan cheese over surface. Bake in a moderate oven (350F) 45 minutes. Cut into squares. Serve hot.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings.