How to get a income tax extensions delay

Getting extra time to file your income tax return. You can delay filing your federal income tax return for 4 months (for most taxpayers, from April 15 to August 15) simply by filing IRS Form 4868 by the date your return is due, usually April 15. The form is available at local offices of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Once you file Form 4868, the extension is automatically granted.

This an extension of the filing date only; payment is still due.

If you think you owe taxes, pay what you estimate is due when you file Form 4868, or you’ll be penalized. When you file your return, you might be subject to interest and penalties if you underpaid your taxes. The IRS will let you know what you owe. If you don’t owe taxes or are entitled to a refund, filing for an extension costs you nothing.

If you need still more time beyond the initial 4-month extension, file Form 2688 or ask the IRS for help.