The din of modern life takes its toll on the delicate workings of the human ear. To find out whether you should take a hearing test, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do people complain that you aren’t listening?
- Do people complain that you turn the TV volume too high?
- Do you understand men’s voices better than women’s?
- Do you have trouble hearing birds or the wind in the trees?
- Do voices sound blurry – like static?
- Do you have to ask people to repeat themselves frequently, even in quiet rooms?
- Do you need to turn toward the person speaking or cup your ear to understand what is being said?
- Do you find yourself confusing words or making silly mistakes?
- Do you sometimes miss hearing common sounds, like the ringing of the phone or doorbell?