- 2 cups syrup drained from fruit cocktail, plus water
- 1 package (3 ozs) lime-flavored gelatin
- 1 can (1 lb) fruit cocktail, drained
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract (optional)
Heat 1 cup syrup to boiling; add gelatin and stir until dissolved. Add remaining 1 cup syrup and chill in refrigerator until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon. Beat until frothy. Add drained fruit cocktail; fold in whipped cream and extract. Pour into a 1 1/2-quart salad mold. Chill in refrigerator until set, and ready to serve.
To serve, unmold (see p. 17) on a flat serving plate. Surround mold with chocolate brownies or crisp cookies if desired.
Yield: 8 servings.