- 8 ounces (1 1/4 cups) pitted dates
- 1 cup nuts, broken coarse
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/3 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
Heat dates, water, and butter in a saucepan. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add to saucepan all remaining ingredients and beat with a plate scraper or spoon, only until blended.
Pour into a greased pan (9×13 inches) and bake in a moderate oven (350F) 25 to 30 minutes. Cool. Frost with Quick Chocolate Frosting. Cut into squares.
Yield: 18 servings.