- 1 cup quick-cooking rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped 1 tart apple, diced
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup turkey broth (or 1 cup water plus 1 chicken bouillon cube)
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey or chicken
- Chopped parsley
Cook rice according to directions on package.
Pan-fry onion and apple in butter in a large skillet until onion is transparent but not brown. Combine flour, curry powder, salt, and ginger, and sprinkle over the onion and apple. Stir to blend. Add milk and broth gradually; stir and cook until thickened. Simmer gently 2 or 3 minutes. Add turkey. Heat. Taste and add more curry powder if desired.
Place cooked rice in a shallow I V2- or 2-quart casserole. Pour curry mixture over rice. Sprinkle chopped parsley over curry. Bake in a slow oven (325F) 30 minutes, or until bubbly. Serve hot with two or three condiments, such as chutney, chopped peanuts, finely chopped hard-cooked eggs, chopped cooked bacon.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings.