- 2 chicken breasts, skinned, boned, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 1/8 pound sliced bacon, cut in half (should be at least 12 whole slices of bacon or use more)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger, or 1/2 teaspoon
- ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 tablespoons minced scallions
- 1/2 cup water
Make a small assembly line: a dish of chicken pieces; dish of sliced water chestnuts, plate with bacon, and toothpicks. Sandwich a piece of chicken and water chestnut together and wrap a piece of bacon around them. Secure with toothpick.
Make up as many Rumaki as there are pieces of bacon, at least 24. (Any leftover water chestnuts and chicken may be used for salad later.) In a large bowl combine soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, scallions, and water. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add Rumaki and gently toss so all are covered with marinade. Drain. Broil under medium heat until evenly browned and cooked. Turn several times to avoid burning.
Serves 4 to 6 as appetizer.