- 1/4 cup wild rice
- 1 cup quick-cooking rice
- 2 medium onions, chopped 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pimento
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese food or Cheddar cheese
Cook wild and quick-cooking rice according to directions on packages. Drain.
Pan-fry onion and green pepper in butter in a large skillet about 2 minutes. Stir in pimento and flour. Add milk gradually; stir and cook until thickened. Add salt, pepper, paprika, eggs, almonds, and chicken. Stir to blend. Heat (unless casserole is to be refrigerated).
Combine white and wild rice in a 2-quart casserole. Add creamed mixture. Cover with cheese. Sprinkle paprika over top, if desired. Bake in a moderate oven (350F) 30 minutes, or until bubbly. Serve hot.
Yield: 8 servings.