You can contribute to your own longevity with these basic measures. In fact, it is almost impossible to maintain good health without following these rules.
- If you smoke tobacco, stop. If you don’t, don’t start. Smoking is the single greatest cause of preventable illness in the country. It is bad not only for smokers but for the people around them.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Excessive weight is linked to heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, back problems, and a host of other ailments. If you need to lose weight, do so gradually.
- Exercise. Inactivity puts you at risk for ailments ranging from heart disease to osteoporosis. The good news is that any activity, from walking to gardening, will help you to get started.
- Avoid excessive consumption of alcohol.
- Never drink and drive.
- Fasten your seat belt every time you drive or ride in a car. Seat belts afford even more protection than air bags do because air bags protect you only from front-end collisions.