Ingredients for 6 Servings
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks, well beaten
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- Add shortening to boiling water, add salt, and slowly stir in corn meal.
- Cook until thick, stirring constantly to prevent lumping and burning.
- Add brown sugar for better flavor, and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add milk to well-beaten egg yolks, mix well, and stir into hot corn meal until well blended.
- Beat egg whites until just stiff enough to stand in peaks, but not until dry.
- Fold egg whites into corn meal mixture.
- Turn into greased 2-quart casserole and bake in moderately hot oven (425° F.) about 30 to 35 minutes, just until top is well browned.
- Serve with a spoon from the same dish in which it is baked.